Much has been written about the colour of the Ecurie Ecosse cars and the Ecosse badge and the origin of both can be placed at the feet of original team member Ian Stewart.
First came the colour. During the 1951 when Ian Stewart was racing his red Jaguar XK120 he had a spectacular accident on his way to Turnberry circuit for a race. When the coachbuilders came to repainting the car Ian pointed out that he didn’t want it to be red but was shown an attractive blue metallic paint that had been formulated by Ault & Wiborg. It was called Flag Metallic Blue and Ian had his Jaguar repainted this colour. When Ecurie Ecosse was formed David Murray decided they should adopt Ian’s colour and so Bill Dobson and Sir James Scott Douglas’ cars were repainted Flag Metallic Blue.
Today with modern paints the original Flag Metallic Blue no longer exists but CKL Developments, who have been responsible for many refurbishments to ex-Ecurie Ecosse cars approached the Herbert Standox company who analysed a spray-out of some very old but real Ault and Wyborg paint that had been tucked away for donkey’s years coming up with a mix that is very close to the original. The Standox reference is :
- Colour Flag blue-met
- Standox panel ref number 41051
- Paint system Basislack
- Amount 1 litre
The Ecurie Ecosse shield was also sketched out by Ian Stewart in June 1952 and when he took delivery of his brand new C-type Jaguar from the factory he had mocked up a couple of rough designs. The shield, therefore, appeared for the first time at the Jersey Road Race on July 10 1952. As can be seen from the photograph it was further modified with a larger blue section and narrower surround.
The definitive badge, which is a copyright design of Ecurie Ecosse, has therefore been used by the team for over fifty years.